Thursday, June 14, 2012

Don't Box Me

I have a confession....I LOVE personality tests. I like learning different parts of what makes up me and why I may be prone to certain things. For example, did you know that left handed people think totally different than right handed people? True statement, I'm left handed and cannot type a paper from beginning to end, I usually start either at the end or in the middle somewhere.....it's just how I am wired. I like understanding things about myself so that I can learn how to relate to other people. I like to read personality traits of others so that I can learn how to better interact with them......I am a geek I know. It can sound selfish, but it really is all about learning how to connect to people the way God created me to.  Yeah, there are certain things about my personality that I can control but if I don't know that I act that way then how can I "fix" it? Also, again, it is learning to be a part of the ministry God has called me to because He created me the way He did for a reason. I like what Isaiah 43:1 says. God formed us and claims us. He calls us by name. He claims us (yeah, I repeated that one on purpose)

The trap of some personality tests or "assumptions" (like if you're left handed then.....) you may end up in a box. I believe people do not belong in boxes. Much like God does not belong in a box. If He created us in His image then either we both belong in a box or neither of us belong in a box. I think the reminders about not putting limitations on God never gets old because we constantly think God can't handle it or won't handle it. We tend to think "I won't bother Him with stuff" or try to handle things on our own. Truth is (the hard truth) we can do NOTHING without Him....not well anyway or how it was intended to be.

I don't like being placed in a box. I don't like being told that this is what you do and that is it. That means there is no room for growth or change or new experiences or.........you pick. I believe we were meant to grow and to learn and to allow God to stretch us. A box can't allow for any of that. I do believe that we were all called to our individual ministries but that doesn't mean you won't grow, and the ministry won't change. I believe I was called to work with the people of New Orleans. I have noticed growth and change within myself and the ministry God has placed me. The ministry is in no way a neatly packaged box, so why would I want to be in one myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment